Frequently Asked Questions

The following is a brief collection of frequently asked questions about United Way of Johnson County. If you have a question that is not answered below, please do not hesitate to contact the office with your question.


Q: Who runs United Way?

A: United Way is run by local volunteers who either work or live in this community and care about the people here.

Q: Who decides how much is allocated to each agency?

A: Volunteers - people like yourself - spend hours visiting agencies and attending meetings. These volunteers determine how much each agency will receive based on what services are needed and how effectively those services are provided.

Q: Does United Way of Johnson County pay dues to United Way of America?

A: Beginning in March 1996, United Way of Johnson County began paying dues to United Way of America. The board for United Way of Johnson County felt that United Way of America provides valuable services to the local United Ways. Such services include giving statistics, research, networking capabilities with other United Ways, etc. United Way Worldwide has put checks and balances into place to ensure that dollars are being used in the most efficient way.

Q: Does United Way of Johnson County fund Planned Parenthood?

A: No, United Way of Johnson County does not fund Planned Parenthood.

Q: How much of my gift is used to help people?

A: 89 cents of every dollar collected goes to services that help people in Johnson County. 

Q: How do I help by giving to United Way?

A: Through your gift, United Way provides funding to agencies for a variety of services in youth activities, health care, rehabilitation, domestic violence and child abuse, emergency assistance, as well as family, adult and childcare programs. These organizations are continuously responding to meet current and emerging needs and problems. Your gift guarantees that services will be available for you, your family, neighbors and co-workers when they are needed.

Q: If I want to designate my gift to a certain agency or a United Way in a different county, may I do so?

A: Certainly! Look on your pledge card to see if there is a place to specify your designation. If you are using a United Way of Johnson County pledge card, you must also list an address for the agency in which you wish your gift to go to.  Designations without addresses specified are unable to be processed. If you are using a pledge card provided by your employer and there is not a spot to designate your gift, ask the person volunteering to run your employee campaign how to make your designation.

Q: Is my contribution tax deductible?

A: Your gift is tax deductible if you itemize.

Q: What requirements must agencies meet to become a United Way agency?

A: The final decision on what agencies will become United Way agencies rests with the local United Way of Johnson County Board of Directors. Agencies must demonstrate they are providing needed health or human care services for the community. They are tax-exempt, non-profits with volunteer governing bodies and have an annual independent financial audit.

Q: Aren’t United Way agencies just for the poor?

A: No, dollars contributed to United Way are allocated where they will do the best for the community. Services provided by member agencies are aimed at helping all people, no matter their income level. Perhaps you, a member of your family, one of your neighbors or co-workers have benefited from services made available with United Way funding.

Q: I won’t give to United Way because I don’t want my money going to “X” agency.

A: It isn't surprising that there is one agency you don’t want to support. By withholding support, because of one agency, a person hinders other agencies that provide services. Consider designating which agencies will receive your contribution.